Tony Killeen T.D., Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, has welcomed the introduction of a new service to assist the representatives of deceased farmers to secure outstanding payments to the estate of the deceased and where applicable, to arrange for the transfer of Single Payment entitlements.
The local Deputy confirmed that a new centralised Inheritance Enquiry Unit has now been established within the Single Payment Section of the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, in Portlaoise.
Commenting on the new service, Minister of State Killeen stated: “Following the death of a farmer it can sometimes be difficult for the representatives of the deceased to secure outstanding payments and the transfer of Single Payment entitlements because of the need to make contact with multiple areas of my Department. This can add to the burden of administering the estate of the deceased person during what is a difficult time for the family of the deceased”.
The Inheritance Enquiry Unit will assist the legal representatives of the deceased to:
- Identify those schemes in which the deceased person participated and establish whether there are any outstanding payments due to the estate of the deceased.
- Assist the legal representatives in contacting various sections of the Department
- Advise on what legal documents are required
- Make arrangements for the issue of any outstanding payments due to estate of the deceased and for the transfer of Single payment entitlements (if any)
The Unit will act as a single repository for legal documentation submitted by representatives of the deceased thus removing the necessity for forwarding duplicate copies to several sections within the Department. An information leaflet outlining the functions of the Inheritance Enquiry Unit is available on the Department’s website www.agriculture.gov.ie and from Local Offices of the Department. A copy of the leaflet has been sent to the Incorporated Law Society for dissemination to Solicitors.
As soon as practicable, the executor of the estate of a deceased farmer and/or the legal representative should contact: Inheritance Enquiry Unit, Department of Agriculture Fisheries and Food, Eircom Building, Knockmay Road Portlaoise.
Tel: 1890 200 560
Fax: 05786 89990
Notes to Editor:
- High-resolution images of Tony Killeen, Fianna Fail TD for Clare, and Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, with special responsibility for Forestry, Fisheries and the Marine, may be downloaded from www.dunphyprimages.com
- For further information please contact Mark Dunphy of Dunphy PR at email@example.com or 086-8534900